The Goonies was released in June of 1985, and it quickly became a classic beloved by all ages. Directed by Richard Donner, the movie follows a group of kids from the Goon Docks neighborhood of Astoria, Oregon, as they search for buried treasure in an effort to save their homes from demolition. The movie was a big success, grossing over $61 million at the box office. It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Score and won a Saturn Award for Best Fantasy Film.
The movie stars Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Corey Feldman, Martha Plimpton, and Jonathan Ke Quan as the Goonies, who embark on a dangerous adventure. Along the way, they face obstacles in the form of the Fratelli family, a group of criminals who are also searching for the buried treasure. The Goonies must rely on their wits and their courage to survive the dangers and ultimately find the treasure and save their homes.
The Goonies has become a cult classic, with fans eagerly awaiting a sequel. The movie spawned several tie-in products, including a video game, a board game, and a few spin-off novels. There have been rumors of a sequel since the original movie was released, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. The movie has even been released on Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD, allowing fans to experience the adventure in a whole new way.
The Goonies is still loved by many, and it continues to be a favorite among children and adults alike. The movie provides a great escape for viewers, and it is sure to remain a classic for many years to come.
The Goonies Trivia
- The movie was written by Steven Spielberg and Chris Columbus, and produced by Spielberg's company, Amblin Entertainment.
- It was directed by Richard Donner, who was also the director of the first Superman movie.
- The iconic theme song, “The Goonies R Good Enough”, was written and performed by Cyndi Lauper.
- The movie was shot on location in Astoria, Oregon, and many of the locations used are still recognizable today.
- The movie was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Score.
- Sean Astin, who played Mikey, was actually the youngest member of the cast.
- The movie made more than $61 million at the box office, making it one of the most successful films of the 1980s.
- The film was also released on VHS and Laserdisc in 1985.
- The movie spawned a video game, as well as a cartoon series, which ran from 1985 to 1987.
- The Goonies has been referenced in numerous other films and television shows, including Family Guy and South Park.
- The movie has been released on DVD and Blu-Ray multiple times over the years.
- There have been rumors of a sequel since the movie was released, but nothing has ever been confirmed.
If you loveThe Goonies, then one of the new Goonies jerseys from Retro City Threads is just what you need in your life! All of our jerseys are sublimated onto our lightweight NanoDri moisture-wicking performance fabric, which means your jerseys will never crack, peel, fade, or warp over time. Each one of our premium jerseys is truly a custom piece made for you. Check out all the awesome movie jerseys at Retro City Threads.com